NCCER Basic Construction & High Performance Building Credential
The Windham Regional Career Center Adult CTE and the Sustainable Energy Outreach Network (SEON) are partnering to offer industry training in the construction trades and green building. The 80 hour class offers three industry recognized credentials and provides a unique blend of nationally recognized training through the National Center for Construction Education & Research (NCCER) and regional specializations in high performance building developed in partnership with SEON. In addition, students gain access to test for the OSHA-10 workplace safety credential.
The NCCER construction trades portion of the class will be taught by John DiMatteo, WRCC Construction Trades Faculty, and former GPI Construction superintendent. Peter Yost experienced high performance building consultant, researcher, teacher and principal at Building-Wright will deliver the green building portion of the curriculum.
This unique offering presents an opportunity to on-board into the construction trades while being exposed to the advanced field of high performance building technologies. Projected workforce construction industry trends and the growing need for sustainable practices and energy efficiency are important factors that impact the future of the building trades.
The Sustainable Energy Outreach Network will sponsor an employment event at the conclusion of the program in order to introduce graduates to their network of professional builders.
Endorsed by the Vermont Home Builders & Re-modelers and Vermont Passive House Associations.
Course Description NCCER
- OSHA 10 – Online Access
- NCCER Basic Safety
- NCCER Introduction to Construction Math
- NCCER Introduction to Hand Tools
- NCCER Introduction to Power Tools
- NCCER Introduction to Construction Drawings
- NCCER Introduction to Basic Rigging
- NCCER Basic Communication Skills
- NCCER Basic Employability Skills
- NCCER Introduction to Material Handling
Student will be required to do out of class work which may include but not be limited to, text reading, written assignments, and studying for quizzes and proficiency exams.
High Performance Builder
Successful completion of the NCCER Core curriculum is required to advance to the Basics of High Performance Building. The curriculum are offered in sequence.
- Part I: Think Like Air, Think Like Water: Building Science Principles Related to the Enclosure This unit gives participants an introduction to specific strategies used to achieve durable and energy efficient enclosures. Participants will take away 1) skills to describe the air tightness strategy used in a specific high-performance system and 2) the ability to discuss strategies for proper moisture management given real world examples.
- Part II: The Big Picture: Integration of the Whole Building System This unit gives participants an overview of the building as a whole system. Participants will take away 1) skills to identify components of high-performance homes and 2) the knowledge necessary to compare and contrast high-performance homes with code minimum conventional construction.
Class Dates and Times:
- Thursday Evenings, 4:30 pm to 7:00 pm, February 6th to April 9th.
- Test date TBD
Instructors: John DiMatteo, Peter Yost
For more Information Contact: Guy Payne, SEON
Location: The Windham Regional Career Center, Trade & Industrial Center, 45 Career Circle, Brattleboro, VT
Registration & Cost: The 80 hour course costs $1200 per person, includes a textbook, and Access to OSHA 10 online, register below or hard copy. Min 6/Max 12 enrollment.
Send Payment to: WRCC, 80 Atwood Street, Brattleboro, VT 05301 Attention Adult Education